Wednesday 21 December 2011

Food Bloggers Unplugged

There's a great food bloggers challenge on at the moment, called Food Bloggers Unplugged. The aim is to learn a little more about the foodies we follow on Twitter or read about on their blogs. I was challenged by Hannah at Love to Dine so, here goes...

What, or who inspired you to start a blog?

It came about in a few ways earlier this year. I’ve always loved eating, dining out, and cooking and I had a spate of eating in some really great places that I wanted to tell people about. I wasn’t really sure how to start, though, so I joined Twitter and loitered on there for a while, starting to follow some people who were posting really interesting blogs. The real catalyst was when Pier 64 opened round the corner from my flat. It seemed like most people I followed didn’t realise this was opening, and so my review of that in its first week or two got a lot of views. Things really took off from there in terms of the blog and getting to know some great people online.

Who is your foodie inspiration?

My favourite chef is Michel Roux Jr. I love his passion and precision and though I don’t aspire to cook in the same style as him I enjoy watching him work in his shows. Meeting him earlier this year was a genuine moment of excitement.

Your greasiest, batter-splattered food/drink book is?

My most loved cookery cooks are actually Weight Watchers ones! Balancing a love of food with trying to stay on the healthy straight and narrow is hard work (and involves arduous gym sessions) but I try to use as much fresh produce and make as much from scratch as I can.

I also love Gordon Ramsay’s cookbooks. I think his books are easy to follow and always seem to work, and are actually a big contrast to his on-TV personality.


Tell us all about the best thing you have ever eaten in another country, where was it, what was it?


This is a tough one. Barcelona has some amazing food and one of the best dining experiences I’ve ever had was in a tiny tapas bar called El Xampanyet around the corner from the Picasso museum. We were brought out a range of dishes we could choose from or send back and we had some amazing Cataluña tomato bread, cheeses, and meats. They also made their own cava and sold it by the litre bottle – we ate like Kings for around 30 Euros. The cava, however, made negotiating the Metro a little tricky…


Another food blogger’s table you’d like to eat at is?


All of them! I’m always impressed by what Cardiff Bites is cooking up – it always sounds really comforting and tasty. My friend Mudpies and Fries is also one I’d happily dine at – she’s really good at taking well-loved recipes and giving them a little twist.

What is the one kitchen gadget you would ask Santa for this year (money no object of course)?

A set of Michel Roux kitchen knives. I really do need to improve my chopping skills since everything always looks like its been hacked to pieces! Or a Kenwood food mixer with all the proper attachments. Or some mini Le Creuset casserole dishes...

Who taught you how to cook?

A combination of my Grandmother and my Mum. One of my earliest memories is making sausage rolls and Scotch eggs with my Nan, and helping her to pick elderflower to make cordials and wines. My Mum was always happy to let me cook at home and create a mess (I’m a cook who doesn’t care about the washing up!) and from there, I’ve kept trying to learn more skills and get better.

I’m coming to you for dinner. What’s your signature dish?

I make a mean drunken lamb. It’s a combination of lamb, vegetables, sesame seeds, and lots of chilli and ginger. It tastes better than it sounds. There’s no alcohol in it – it’s called Drunken Lamb because I concocted it one night after too many Chenin Blancs at the pub. It turned out to be one of the best things I’ve ever cooked up.

I also make a pretty good roast duck with Thai flavours, and a suprisingly tasty open lasagne with home-made pesto, feta, sundried tomatoes and roasted butternut squash.

What is your guilty food pleasure?

I have too many! I have a weakness for nachos and can happily munch my way through plates of them, loaded with melted cheese and salsa. I also have a soft spot for the Big Mac meal, especially when I have a hangover.

Reveal something about yourself that others would be surprised to learn?

I’m a useless baker. I can work savoury dishes out fine but every single time I try to make a cake or pudding it fails. I think it might be too mathematical for me. Tips and advice are more than welcome!

The next nominees are:

1. Beth at Mudpies and Fries
2. The ever-lovely Project:Goddess
3.Dining Out in Cardiff
4.Stephen Nottingham
5. I don't have a fifth because I think everyone I know has already done this!

3 comments:

  1. Great post Rebecca. I accept the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for doing the challenge - really enjoyed reading your answers!

    Hannah @ Love to Dine
    http://lovetodine.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cataluña Tomato Bread - It's called 'Pa amb tomàquet' and is extremely simple to make. You take a baguette, half it, rub it with half a tomato and enjoy. Adding cheese, houmous and/or roasted vegetables just makes it ever better.

    ReplyDelete